Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Love, Joy, Fruit and Baptism


We read in the first letter of John (4:7-21) that “there is no fear in love, but that perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.” As we read in the Gospel of John, 15:9-17, Jesus continues the theme of love over fear as God’s plan for our lives and for our world.

"As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you, abide in my love. If you keep my Father’s commandments, you will abide in my love as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

Jesus goes on to remind the disciples, and through them, us, “that we did not choose him, but he chose us and appointed us to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last.” He gave us these commands so that we might love one another and so that in loving one another our joy would be complete.

Jesus did not give us this good news to hoard, but to share with all of God’s people. Luke, writing in the Acts of the Apostles continues this theme of sharing the Good News.

"While Peter was still speaking, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard the word. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astounded that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles, for they heard them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter said, "Can anyone withhold the water for baptizing these people who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?" So he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ." (Acts 10:44-48)

Our commandment from God is to love, to experience joy, to bear much fruit, to baptize and to REPEAT. The love of God is like ripples on a lake: it comes from the Father to the Son and through the Holy Spirit from the Father and the Son to us, and from us to all those we meet and through them to the whole world.

Some verses from Ripple (The Grateful Dead, 1970) show us how the message of God flows through us encompassing all that is as it flows out into the whole world.

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine, and my tunes were played on the harp 
unstrung, would you hear my voice come through the music, would you hold it near as
it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken, perhaps they're better left unsung.
I don't know, don't really care Let there be songs to fill the air.
Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty, if your cup is full may it be again,
Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

You who choose to lead must follow. . . If I knew the way I would take you home.

Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.

May we, like Jesus, bear much fruit, and may the love of God flow out through us!





No comments:

Post a Comment