Saturday, July 28, 2018

Like Sheep without a Shepherd


The Biblical writers often use the metaphors of sheep and shepherd to explain our relationship with God and with each other. As we examine some of these scriptures we get a sense of who we are, who God is and how important, and sometimes troubling, these relationships can be.

“Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture says the Lord. . . It is you who have scattered my flock. . .and have not attended to them. So I will attend to you for your evil doings. Then I myself will gather the remnant of my flock . . . and I will bring them back to their fold. . . I will raise up shepherds over them, who will shepherd them, and they shall not fear any longer, or be dismayed, nor shall any be missing, says the Lord.” (Jeremiah 23:1-6)

When Jesus’ disciples return from their mission trips they are excited and share with Him “all that they had done and taught.” Jesus takes them away to a deserted place to rest, but the crowds see them go and hurry around the lake on foot, arriving ahead of them.” Jesus saw the crowd and had compassion for them, “because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.” (Mark 6:30-34) Jesus became their shepherd just as the Lord raised up new shepherds in the days of Jeremiah.

The Psalmist captures the power of shepherd and sheep, Lord and people in, what I believe, is the best known and most loved chapter in the Bible, the Twenty-Third Psalm,

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; * I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures *and leads me beside still waters.
3 He revives my soul *and guides me along right pathways for his Name's sake.
4 Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; *
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; *
you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.
6 Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, *
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

The Lord is our Guide who will supply our needs; who leads us into times and places of peace; who renews our spirits and leads us into all truth. God is always with us, in good times and bad times, in life and death. God takes away our fears, feeds us, protects us, heals us, gives us abundant life and makes us citizens of God’s Kingdom. The Lord is our Shepherd.



No comments:

Post a Comment